Stamford Hospital

Stamford Hospital

The Hospital was opened in 1828 having been built as a result of a bequest from Henry Fryer, a local man who like his father before him had practised surgery. The final cost of the building was 5,793 12s. 1d.

It was managed by a committee chaired by the Marquess of Exeter on whose land the Hospital stood. For the next 120 years, until the introduction of the National Health Service in 1948, the Hospital was independently run and funded mainly by benefactors. The original building was supplemented by the fever blocks in 1879, and in the early 20th century by children's, maternity and adult wards.

After 1948 the Hospital became part of the NHS and close links were developed with Peterborough Hospital, and notably with shared medical staff. There have been many changes in medical and surgical practice since then, and the Hospital has responded to those changes. Particularly there has been a trend to concentrate expertise in larger units, and thus many of the services offered at the Hospital in 1948 have disappeared, such as obstetrics, the paediatric ward, major surgery and acute medicine.

The Hospital does though remain very busy and is seeing more patients than ever coming through its doors, with a very busy elective surgery unit, a procedures unit, pain service, investigation services, physiotherapy and a large out patient department.

The Van Geest unit, opened in 1990 as a result of a donation by Lucille van Geest, remains active and offers high quality care and rapid rehabilitation mainly for elderly patients. The minor injuries unit provides a valuable and popular local service.

The Hospital remains very popular with local people, not only from Stamford but also from surrounding villages and towns such as Bourne and Market Deeping. All surveys of patient satisfaction show excellent results, and the support from local people is strong.

In summary, the Hospital has a proud history, has changed with the times, has strong local support and should have an important continuing role in the delivery of high quality healthcare.